The three treatment options for cancer include Medical Oncology-treating cancer with Chemotherapy, Surgical Oncology-treating with surgery and Radiation Oncology- treating with radiation.
However Interventional Oncology is the under utilised treatment option in cancer by the specialists in India and Hyderabad. The various diagnostic, therapeutic and palliative procedures are done as day care procedures by the interventional radiologist under local anesthesia.
Microwave ablation is one such procedure in cancer care now available in Hyderabad that uses thermal energy to destroy tumor cells.
Microwave ablation procedure
During the procedure, Local anesthesia is given to numb the area and a small cut can be made to insert the needle to reach the tumor. The site can be reached with the help of an ultrasound or CT scan. The microwave probe produces an electromagnetic energy spectrum that produces heat to destroy the tumor cells and it is replaced by scar tissue.
During the ablation, heart rate, blood pressure, and others are monitored to check for any complications. Post-procedure overnight stay and observation are essential to identify any early deviations which happen sometimes.
Follow-up visits and scans are required to monitor the treatment response, as individual results may vary.
This kind of technique can be used to treat liver cancer , colon(large bowel) cancer metastasis(cancer spread to liver), lung cancer, bone tumors and is available in Hyderabad at the most affordable price.
Advantages of taking microwave ablation
- This is a minimally invasive procedure to treat tumors.
- Elderly persons who are not surgically fit can benefit from this procedure.
- Shorter anesthesia times
- Lessen surgery time and low recovery time period for this type of surgery.
- As no sutures are there, it doesn’t require dressing and a shorter hospital stay.
- Tumors present near major arteries and veins can also be treated with microwave ablation.
- Little or no pain.
- Minimal risk to patients.